Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Favorite Worm Source

A lot of folks ask me, "Hey Joe, where's the best place to get redworms?" Well, it's nice to have my opinion so well thought of -- and to realize my role in the worm marketplace.

So here goes: My absolute favorite (besides being the most economical by far) source for red wigglers (a.k.a. redworms) is Willingham Worm Farm in Georgia.

I've been doing wormy business with Sybil Willingham (chief worm wrangler) for more than a dozen years, and Sybil has supplied worms to hundreds upon hundreds of classrooms, where said wigglers were enjoyed and studied by tens of thousands of students.

Here are the details:

Worms-$13.00 per lb.
Postage 1 lb- $8.00
2-5 lb in bulk postage $10.35

To order, said a check or money order to:

Willingham Worm Farm
74 S. Collins St.
Reynolds, GA 31076

This is a low-tech, low overhead outfit; no fancy websites, credit card orders, and the like. If you want those features, feel free to pay twice as much and order online (chances are that Sybil is still the woman providing the worms -- an industry secret I'll carry to the grave).

Please note that Sybil will not ship in a week with a postal holiday. And shipments are sent only on Mondays. Orders received by Thursday will go out on Monday.

For more information -- but NO ORDERS -- contact Sybil directly: wworm@pstel.net

3 comments:

Karen said...

I enjoyed your class in Arlington last night. When I got home, I reached out to Sybil and was disappointed to learn she is no longer in business (see below).
-Karen
----- Forwarded by Karen on 04/21/2009 09:28 AM -----
"Sybil Willingham" wworm@pstel.net
04/21/2009 06:11 AM
To
Karen
cc
Subject
Re: question about ordering worms

I am sorry to tell you that I am no longer in business.
Try Flowerfield Enterprises in Kalamazoo, MI.
They have a website.
Sybil Willingham

Unknown said...

Does anyone around the Arlington / Fairfax area have a few spare worms for a small scale vermi-composting starter?
Thanks!

Email shonaz@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your class too - thanks so much!! Glad Karen mentioned that Sybil is not selling worms any longer. I was *just* about to send a check. I found a closer outfit on craigslist: www.wormcrusader.com . They're in Barboursville. Still not cheap, but at least local.